30/01/2014

It's somebody's Birthday somewhere...

It's somebody's Birthday... It's somebody's Birthday...
"I just don't want to look back and think, 'I could've eaten that'."

Last Saturday I made a cake and had the Grandparents over Sunday afternoon for some tea.
I used a cake recipe from Gesine Bullock-Prado's "Sugar Baby" cookbook and an espresso icing recipe from Call me Cupcake's Linda.

The small cake pan my mom got from one of our visits to The Duchess Bake shop in Edmonton. It is the perfect size for this cake plate that a friend gave us years ago. We've used the pair a couple of times now and it is the perfect size for a little family when you don't want days and days of leftovers.


***

Lately I have been thinking a lot about school and what I want from that experience. And I am rather surprised to say that I'm not looking for a degree or diploma, but just enhancing my knowledge in subject areas that interest me. 

It's weird because I always strived for the best in every aspect and subject in school -- I had pretty steady grades that hovered between 85-95% in every class. I think this might have made my decision that much harder because, though I knew what I loved more, I had a love of knowledge that made some part of every subject enjoyable.

I know now, and perhaps always, that I love English. I love to read. I love to write. I love analyzing and interpreting text. And I want to build my knowledge more in this area and improve.

I also want to know more about photography, web design, the pastry arts, and small business. Consequently, I have come to the decision at this time to apply to Bachelor of Arts and pick and choose the courses I want to take -- but not have the overbearing thought of finishing the degree in four years -- or at all ultimately. Taking some extra courses by open studies. And  then perhaps after a couple of years I will go to NAIT or overseas for a pastry art course...the possibilities are endless. 

And a sort of peace has come over me knowing that I can do whatever I want. 

That thought used to be the reason the future scared me.


No comments:

Post a Comment